The Wolf and the Lamb

狼與小羊

 

Wolf, meeting with a lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea to justify to the lamb the wolf's right to eat him.

一隻狼瞧見一隻迷路離群的小羊,決定不對牠伸出暴力的手,而想找些藉口,對小羊證明狼有吃牠的權利。

 

He thus addressed him: "Sirrah, last year you grossly insulted me."

牠就對牠宣示:「小鬼,你去年狠狠地辱罵了我。」

 

"Indeed," bleated the lamb in a mournful tone of voice, "I was not then born."

小羊以哀悽的語調咩叫:「老實說,去年,我還未出生哪。」

 

Then said the wolf, "You feed in my pasture."

狼接著說:「你在我的草原上吃草。」

 

"No, good sir," replied the lamb, "I have not yet tasted grass."

「不,好先生!」小羊回答說:「我還不曾嚐過草呢。」

 

Again said the wolf, "You drink of my well."

狼又說:「你喝我井裡的水。」

 

"No," exclaimed the lamb, "I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me."

小羊叫道:「沒有!我沒喝過水,因為直到現在,我母親的奶是我的食物和飲料。」

 

Upon which the wolf seized him and ate him up, saying, "Well! I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations." 

狼一聽這話,便捉住牠,把牠吃了,並說:「算了!即使你駁倒我羅織的每一項罪名,我也不能不吃晚餐吧。」

 

 

 

The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.  

暴君總能為他的暴政找到藉口